background

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Whoopies


Dish: Whoopies (mocha with chocolate butter cream and oatmeal with honey cream)
Book: Whoopie Pies
Pajamas:blue jean shorts and a Fuentes t-shirt
Meal: afternoon snack

Eaters: Mom, Mam and Me


Mam, Mom and I decided to cook on Sunday instead of our normal million dollar shopping spree. When we were on this shopping trip a few weeks ago, we were at this awesome cooking store in the Domain and bought a cookbook and pan for making whoopies. They are little cream filled cakes from Pennsylvania and the northeast. Back to the present, we started at Ulta. Yes, I said Ulta. We had so spend a little money on Sunday. Then we went to Target to get our supplies. The cart ended up full and we were on our way to Mom's kitchen. Once there. we got out all the ingredients to make 2 types of whoopies (24+ cakes) for 3 people. We started with the Mocha cakes and chocolate butter cream. The mocha cake went well. I spooned the batter into the flat cupcake pan. I was so proud of myself because I filled all 24 holes exactly even with no extra batter. I put both pans in the ovens. Mom, aka Martha, then made me take them out and spread the batter flat. Batter is liquid and when it gets hot, it spreads... hmmmm Anyway, next we made the oatmeal cakes. They were quite easy as well. We were a bit worried because they made about 1/2 as much batter as the other. I put a teeny scoop in each hole. It ends up that the mocha ones were gigantic and the oatmeal were just right. As we let them cool, we started on the icings/fillings. Note that during this cooking all three of us never stopped talking. Mom decided to use the small mixing bowl for the fillings- thanks Martha. We put all the ingredients in the small bowl. Mom started the mixer and nothing happened. We then decided to do it the old fashioned way- with a spoon. I spread the filling in between two cakes and tadah there were our first whoopies. They were a bit large and ugly, but they tasted pretty good. We then started making the honey filling. Mom again put all the ingredients in the small mixer and turned the knob. ALL of the contents flew ALL over the kitchen. We stirred what was left of it with a spoon. I put the oatmeal whoopies together. I have to say that they were quite a masterpiece. They looked super cute and tasted amazing. I learned on this one that you win some and you lose some :)

Mam/Mom-o-meter: Mocha whoopies- 6.0 a bit cakey
Oatmeal whoopies- 8.9 yum yum

No comments:

Post a Comment