background

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Painting with a Twist

A friend from school has a hobby that I admire. She paints canvases. I tried it for a week or so back in college. I just don't have the ideas needed to create new paintings. This teacher paints at a shop in Austin called Painting with a Twist. You sign up for a certain painting and a teacher walks you through the process. We found a few studios in Dallas and decided to do it with sis! Mom, me, Sis and Reid all showed up at a teeny messy studio in Frisco. There were mostly women and a few guys. The walls were covered with beautiful semi/amateur paintings. The floor, chairs and tables were covered with messy paint (my kind of place!) You can bring food, wine, anything. We brought Starbucks! Our barefooted, long haired, dirty, awkward teacher began. He informed us that he had never painted The Green Door (our painting of the night.) There were 3 or 4 cute girls walking around to help. We started with about 5 colors and a blank canvas. The teacher walked us through mixing colors, brush size and stroke, and layering. In the end we all had our own version of The Green Door. My favorite part was how similar yet how different all of our paintings turned out. I will definitely Paint with a Twist again!

No comments:

Post a Comment