background

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cake Balls


Dish: Lemon Cake Balls
Website: Bakerella (I came up with the lemon cake though)
Pajamas: Brown soft shirt and teeny tiny pink boxers
Meal: Dessert
Eaters: Trevor, me, Ryan, Jill, Jane(8), Adele(5), and Vince(2)

My sweet student, Jane, invited Trevor and me to her house for dinner. Her mom told me that Jane was planning on cooking her favorite dish and she wanted me to bring my favorite dessert. It is over 100 degrees every day and I wanted to bring a light and fruity dessert. I have made cake balls one time in the past (Easter). They were a bit of a disaster. They tasted great but looked terrible. I decided that I would make these cake balls hours in advance so that if it was a royal screw up, I would have time to make a back up dessert. I bought lemon cake mix, vanilla icing, white bark, and beautiful sprinkles. I baked the cake and then crushed it with a fork. While it was still warm, I mixed in the icing. Honestly, I know this is a new trend but I have been doing this since I was 2. I think I am so ahead of my time. Anyway, back to mixing and mashing the soggy mess. I then shaped the cake/icing mixture into little balls. I forgot to get lollipop sticks so I decided to make them more like truffles. I put the balls in the fridge for about 2 hours. I then dipped them in the melted bark. I found that if you use a tall skinny mug, it works best. I then got them out with a fork, sprinkled them and put them on foil to set. They were perfect! So beautiful. The big test was serving them to the kids. When it was dessert time, the kids grabbed one of their favorite color and started chowing down. They then grabbed a second and a third. Vince tried to steal a fourth and his dad had to intervene. There were many tears involved. I take that as a compliment! Later the girls and I had another :) I would recommend cake balls for any dinner with kids. The adults seemed to like them too though!

Trev-o-meter: Too sweet!
Jane-0-meter: mmm mmm mmm mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment