background

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Making a house a home

I LOVE our little yellow house. The first time I saw it, I knew it was our house! If you don't know the story, Trevor and I were not looking for a house. This little house was on my school's online bulletin board and it was so cute. I met a realtor at the house and fell in love. I called Trevor immediately and told him to make an appointment the next day. He did and he felt the same way. The third day, I met the realtor at the central market restaurant and signed all of the contracts to make it ours. We left on a family vacation to Big Bend the next morning. Over the phone, the realtor and I finalized everything and bought the house that week. We closed and moved in a month later! Trevor's family was coming to visit a few weeks later, so I threw as many decorations on the wall as fast as I could. It turned out very cute. Over the past year, I have wanted it to be more "homey." I sat at Carol's house (my aunt) a few weeks ago and admired the "homeyness" of her house. I came to the realization that it takes time and effort. I began obsessing over Southern Living, Better Home and Gardens, and Living Simple. I know that it is a work in progress, but at least it is now in progress:)

We ordered a canvas for our first wedding anniversary. I put small shelved up for our growing Willow Tree collection. In the entryway, I put up a shelf. I replaced the gray knobs with antique mismatched knobs. I collected different S's to put on the shelf. I haven't decided what I'm going to hang from the knobs.

I bought a simple white frame and took out the matting. I cut 35 fabric squares and put them in the frame. I drew black lines on the inside of the glass. I will write our monthly schedule with dry erase markers. (I need to get a black dry erase, I only had pastels for the picture.) In the kitchen, we hung one of our painting and I clustered some frames of wedding pictures.

I hung 3 cube shelves by the television. I haven't decided what I will put on them yet. For now, small frames will have to do. I also put a wall clock above the fridge. I put both of our paintings in one corner rather than spread out.
Like I said, this is not all! I have lots of work to do, more pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment