background

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cricut


Project: Dog shirt using the cricut
Pajamas: tshirt and boxers
Time: 8:00 pm

My sweet class bought me a cricut at the end of the year. They were so generous throughout the year, it blew me away. This summer, I have spent many hours getting to know my cricut. It takes lots of practice to hone the skill of paper cutting. You have to use cartridges to cut in different styles. I got lots of cartridges and paper for my birthday. I am getting good at the basics. I can make words, animals, and paper dolls. I am working on making greeting cards at the moment. It will take many many hours of trying before I get it right. Tonight I decided that I would use my cricut to cut fabric and then sew the fabric pieces on dog clothes or onesies. It was a great idea, but I guess I forgot that I am a beginner. I ironed a fabric mesh onto the designed material. I then cut the fabric using my cricut. I found that you have to do very simple and large shapes. I then ironed the flower and polka dots on a dog t-shirt. So far, it was all going as planned. I got out my sewing machine, dusted it off, and plugged it in. This is where it all went wrong... I can't sew. I can sew some dang good curtains, aprons and purses. Don't be fooled. Sewing detailed teeny tiny shapes is way different. I struggled, and struggled, and struggled. I am now sitting here watching sixteen and pregnant, eating ice cream, with no dog shirt. I guess I'll get the confidence to try again sometime. I'll stick to paper until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment