background

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Beef Burgundy

Dish: Beef Burgundy
Book: Fast and Healthy
Pajamas: sweaty workout clothes :)
Meal: Dinner
Eaters: Trevor and me

I've heard some very positive feedback in the past days. This response renewed my culinary strength and helped me get through the grieving process that was due to the honey dijon catastrophe. I went for a run and then went to Randall's to get ingredients for the next 3 recipes. In the store, I was searching for the perfect sirloin and a creepy meat man asked if I needed any help with his meat. My gag reflex was too great to hear that statement without a small "huh." I then finished my shopping, meat and all, and made my way to Trevor's. On a side note: What are chick peas and do they sell them at the grocery store. I need them by Friday... Okay, back to today. I started with the meat, from now on it will be called sirloin, the word meat gives me a mental image of the meat man and his huge baggy polyester pants. The sirloin was already cubed (thank the lord-see: potato soup blog) I put it in the non stick skillet and started to cook it. Again, I still had trouble with cooking the inside enough without the outside burning. When I cut it smaller and it seemed pretty well cooked, I put it aside. I boiled the water for the egg noodles. In the skillet, I put the condensed onion soup (don't lick that can- it's gross) and 1/4 c red wine. I think I might have put a bit more in the skillet and a lot more in my mouth... All of the other ingredients went in and it began to bubble. I have found that corn starch is somewhat magical. No matter what it is mixed with, when it gets hot, it magically turns it thick. I love it! The sauce was looking and smelling delicious. I put that to the side and focused on the noodles. They seemed finished and I went to drain them. Big Problem, no drainer. I looked everywhere. I ended up putting the pan up against the sink to hold the noodles. Egg noodles are slippery suckers- that's all I have to say about that. Next it was time to put it all together. I put the noodles on the plate, the beef on top, and then the sauce. I garnished with green onion, parsley and pepper. I was so proud. Trevor sat down took one bite of the 'sirloin' and gagged as blood dripped out. He then proceeded to cut each piece to check for blood drips. I got the pan, with a pouty face on, and recooked his meat. I also mentioned how everything else would now be cold and ruined. When the 'sirloin' was well done, I re-served it. Now we ate. It actually tasted quite good. I really think I'm getting the hang of using recipes to cook.

Trev-o-meter: 6 "Good and very edible but I would never ask for it."

4 comments:

  1. vocabulary enrichment... a "drainer" is called a colander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chick peas are found in canned goods. I suggest rinsing them well in the colander first. Otherwise they have a film over them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chick peas are the same as Garbanzo beans, and Garbanzo is a much funner word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And...tell Trevor to eat his meat like a man.

    ReplyDelete