background

Friday, January 29, 2010

Tortellini chicken soup



Dish: Tortellini Chicken soup, homemade hummus
Book: Fast and Healthy
Pajamas: Fuentes t-shirt and pink velour pants
Meal: Dinner
Eaters: Trevor and me and Millini

Let's start by saying one good, one bad today. I'm going to start with the bad. Trevor loves hummus and pita. I finally found some garbanzo beans at Wheatsville Co-op (Thank goodness for the hippies.) After I gathered all of the ingredients, I read the recipe and found out that I needed a food processor. hmmmm well, I have a very strong arm. So I drained and rinsed the garbanzo beans in the can because I still don't have a colander. I put them in a bowl and started to chop the garlic. My fingers still smell like old gym socks. I squeezed the lemon and poured the olive oil in. I began to chop, and chop, and chop, and chop, and chop, and chop. I think I chopped and ground and mashed for about a decade. The consistency was still chalky and chunky. I put it aside to ice my bicep. After I took an aleve to sooth the pain, I mashed a bit more. Trevor swooped in to try it and swooped out to the store to buy some hummus....

Ok, now for the success. I read over the recipe and it started with simmering the ingredients and adding boiled chicken. Wait, it doesn't tell me how to boil chicken? I can do this. So I put the raw chicken in water and put it on high in a pan. I waited and soon the chicken turned white. I let it go for a while because I didn't want my curse of undercooked meat to continue. I then decided it had to be done. I poured the water out and put the chicken on the cutting board. I chopped it up and lost all of my fingerprints due to the temperature of the meat. I put all of the ingredients in the big pot. I felt fancy for some reason (parsley, sweet corn, tortellini, broth, green onion, fresh garlic, etc.) When the spinach wilted (I told you it's sophisticated), I took the soup off the stove. I dished it out and we tasted it. It was good, but missing something. We added salt, pepper and cayenne. Trevor added a bit too much cayenne to his... His taste buds are swollen. We really enjoyed this soup though. We gushed over it throughout the entire meal! I'm so happy to be a good cook again!

Trev-o-meter: Trevor said he gave it a 9. I told him that was a bit high. He changed it to an 8 but said that he wanted it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment