background

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Potatoe Soup and Brownies

Dish: Best Ever Potato Soup, Brownies
Book: Taste of Home Winners
Pajamas: pink top, gray sweat pants, wool socks
Meal: Dinner
Eaters: Me and Trevor

I chose to start with a soup. We have had an arctic blast in Austin! It is quite frigid outside. Soup sounded warm and easy. I made my way to the Randall's to pick up the ingredients for 4 upcoming recipes. $133!! This could be an expensive year... Anyway, I got to Trevy's and began my journey. First I had to peel and cube the potatoes. Hmmmm, I've never done that before. I started with a steak knife. No good. I then found a small bladed knife, a bit better. I learned to slice away from your hand and body. The first potato took almost 12 minutes. The second potato went much faster, but when I was finished there was not much potato left to work with. I finally got the hang of it by the third and final potato. Now for the cubing. When they say cube, does that mean cut into pieces? I started by carving cubes, but that got old really fast. Next I had to shave a carrot. At the store, I got the baby carrots because they taste good. I had no "shaver" in the drawer so I just cut them. All the cutting and preparing went well after that. The book said put all of it in a saucepan. Trevor and I had a discussion as to what a saucepan is. The big flat one is a skillet, I think. I then put the stuff in the other pan that we had. Too small. So I finally decided on the spaghetti cooking one. Just right. While that stuff was "simmering," I decided to start on the brownies. Bad move. Don't work on 2 intense recipes at the same time. The rest of the cooking was too fast and furious. By the end, I was soaking wet and quite irritated. That might have had to do with the last 2 minutes that I had to stir the potato mixture while it was boiling. My spoon was tiny and my hand had to be in the pot to reach it. I have no arm hair left. Okay, the food is finished. I garnished with bacon and green onion and served. The soup was too hot for about 10 minutes. Finally.... PERFECT!!!! This soup was amazing. It had so much flavor and just the right amount of cheese, veggies, and spices. I think the dill seed was good? The brownies were pretty good too. They were quite easy to make and turned out very moist and "homemade" tasting. Overall, I'm very proud of myself. Recipe 1 and 2 were a huge success.

Trev-o-meter:
Potato Soup: 8
Brownies: "I don't like brownies"
I think they were a 6...* my rating

No comments:

Post a Comment